Sunday, March 8, 2009

Caramelized Leek Crusted Sirloin, Baby Yukon Gold, Cremini, Roasted Garlic


Here we have a 14oz. Sirloin. I caramelized some leeks in butter and then blasted them for a few seconds in the trusty, Magic Bullet. Great piece of equipment. The ensuing leek paste was used to crust the sirloin, after said sirloin had been generously salted, peppered, and pan seared until brown and crispy.

After the sirloin was seared, I used the pan to caramelize the onions and cremini. I set these aside and reheated them later with the potatoes and garlic.

Speaking of potatoes and garlic, the potatoes were cut in half and, with the garlic, placed in a pot of cold salted water. I brought the pot to a boil and continued to cook the potatoes for about 3 minutes or until soft, but not too soft. Strain the potatoes .We are gonna be mixing the potatoes, so if they are cooked too long in the water, they will break apart and you'll be making mashed potatoes instead. I tossed the cooked potatoes in oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme and then popped them in a 375F oven for about 20 minutes. I like to make sure that the flat part of the potatoes are face down on the pan. This gives the potatoes a nice, crispy texture on the outside and a mashed potato-like consistency on the inside.
I sauteed the potatoes, mushrooms, & garlic in butter with some fresh thyme to get them nice and glazed. Next, I made a real quick pan sauce for the steak. Onion, leeks, garlic, mushroom, and carrots were sauteed in the steak/mushroom pan and deglazed with some brandy. I let that cook down by about 1/2 and added some chicken stock and then a little soy sauce for some saltiness and flavor. I really like using soy sauce in my pan sauces. When you finish your sauce with butter, the flavor when the butter mixes with the soy is one that goes great with beef.

Here's the finished dish:Cooked to perfection,

No comments: